PIQUA — October is American Archives Month. In order to raise awareness about the value of archives and archivists, the Miami Valley Archives Roundtable (MVAR) is sponsoring an Archives Crawl in the Dayton and Cincinnati areas.
The Piqua Public Library’s Local History Department will be one of several repositories participating in the Archives Crawl.
Visitors to participating archives during the month of October will have the opportunity to have their Archives Crawl Passport stamped. Stamps from five participating repositories will earn the participant a $10 gift certificate to Carillon Brewery (can only be used towards food purchases). They also will be entered into a drawing for a first-place prize of a $100 Gaylord Archival gift certificate. The second-place prize will be a Greene County stuffed pilot bear.
Drawings will take place at the November 2016 MVAR meeting and the winner will be notified shortly thereafter. Current employees, volunteers, or contractors of any of the participating repositories are not eligible to win any of the prizes.
In addition to the Piqua site, passports are available at the participating repositories listed below. Be sure to visit each repository’s website and/or social media page for their regular hours of operation.
• Antioch College, Antiochiana
• Archdiocese of Cincinnati
• Beavercreek Historical Society
• Clark County Historical Society
• Clinton County Records & Archives
• Enon Community Historical Society
• Franciscan Sisters of the Poor Congregational Archives
• Greene County Historical Society
• Greene County Records Center & Archives
• Montgomery County Records Center & Archives
• Smith Library of Regional History
• Walter Havighurst Special Collections & Archives
• Warren County Records Center & Archives
• Wright State University, Special Collections & Archives
• WYSO Archives