• BUTTERFLY SURVEY: The Miami County Park District will hold a Butterfly Survey at 2:30 p.m. at Stillwater Prairie Reserve, 9750 State Route 185, Covington. Participants will help Park District naturalists collect data on butterflies in Miami County. Some of the data collected will help with the Monarch Larva Monitoring project which focuses on larval populations and milkweed. For more information on the Monarch monitoring project visit www.mlmp.org/. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing email@example.com or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• SOUP AND SALAD: The American Legion Auxiliary Unit 586, Tipp City, will prepare two kinds of soup, salad, roll and dessert for $6 starting at 6 p.m.
• CLASS LUNCH: Piqua Catholic High School class of 1953 will meet at noon at the Covington Eagles.
• CRAFTY LISTENERS: The Crafty Listeners gather from 1-2:30 p.m. at the Milton-Union Public Library. This group of women listens to a lighthearted book while working on joint and individual craft projects. Both experienced crafters and those wanting to learn are welcome.
• OPTIMISTS MEET: The Troy Noon Optimist Club will meet at noon at LaPiazza.
• CENTER OPEN: The Pleasant Hill History Center, 8 E. Monument St., Pleasant Hill, is open from 3-7 p.m.
• TOASTMASTERS: The Miami County Toastmasters will meet from 7-8 p.m. the 2nd and 4th Mondays at the Troy-Hayner Cultural Center, 301 W. Main St., Troy. Those interested in improving communication and leadership skills are welcome to attend.
• TOPS: The T.O.P.S. (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly) Club meets at 5:45 p.m. at the Zion Lutheran Church, Main and 3rd streets, Tipp City. For more information, call (937) 332-9251.
• Monroe Township Board of Trustees will meet at 7 p.m. at the Township Building.
• The Tipp City Council will meet at 7:30 p.m. at the Government Center.
• The Troy City Council will meet at 7 p.m. in the meeting room in Council Chambers.
• The Staunton Township Trustees will meet at 7:30 p.m. in the Staunton Township building.
• Covington Village Council will meet at 7 p.m. at Town Hall.
• Covington Board of Public Affairs will meet at 4 p.m. in the Water Department office located at 123 W. Wright St., Covington.
• The Covington Street Committee will meet the fourth Monday of each month immediately following the regular council meeting.
• Laura Village Council will meet the second Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in the Municipal building.
• The Potsdam Village Council will meet on the first Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in the village offices.
• Brown Township Board of Trustees will meet the second and fourth Monday of the month at 8 p.m. in the Township Building in Conover.
• The Union Township Trustees will meet the second and last Monday of each month at 1:30 p.m. in the Township Building, 9497 Markley Road, P.O. Box E, Laura. Call 698-4480 for more information.
• The Miami County Educational Service Center Governing Board will meet on the third Monday at 5 p.m. at 2000 W. Stanfield Road, Troy. (January, Feb. and July, meetings are on 2nd Monday.)
• COFFEE AND COLOR: Join staff at the Troy-Miami County Library for a coffee and coloring event. Take a stress break and enjoy a cup of coffee while coloring away the day’s anxiety at 1:30 p.m.; the coloring pages, colored pencils and coffee will be provided. The library is located at 419 W. Main St., Troy. For more information, call 339-0502, Ext. 117.
• ADULT HIKE: The Miami County Park District will hold an Adult Exploration Hike from 9-11 a.m. at Lost Creek Reserve, 2385 E. State Route 41, east of Troy. Join park district naturalist Sassafras Susan to discover the birds, plants and trees across the county, one park at a time. These hikes are a great opportunity to get out in nature and learn together. Walks last about two hours and are not strenuous or fast-paced. Due to weather, trails may be wet. Wear appropriate shoes. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• QUARTER AUCTION: Boy Scout Troop 586, Tipp City, will present a quarter auction from 7- 9 p.m. at the American Legion Post 586, Tipp City, to raise money to support their programs. Paddles are $2 each and additional paddles will be available to purchase. The American Legion Post kitchen will be open for food sales from 5:30-8:30 p.m.
• BARBERSHOP MEETING: The Miami Shelby Chapter of the Barbershop Harmony Society meets every Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the Greene Street UMC, 415 W. Greene St., Piqua. All men interested in singing are welcome and visitors are always welcome. For more information, call (937) 778-1586 or visit www.melodymenchorus.org.
• VIRTUAL MARKET: Miami County Locally Grown, a unique online farmer’s market modeled after the successful virtual market in Urbana, will open for its first online orders today. Visit www.miamicounty.locallygrown.net to register for a free customer account, meet the vendors, and view products for sale.
• The Concord Township Trustees will meet at 10 a.m. at the Concord Township Memorial Building, 1150 Horizon West Court, Troy.
• MILITARY HISTORIAN: Fort Pickawillany Society Children of the American Revolution will be serving breakfast for veterans from 9-11 a.m. at the Miami Valley Veterans Museum, Troy. The guest speaker will be Alejandro “Alex” Villalva, a military historian, speaking on “Until They Are Home: Using Forensic Science to Account for our MIA Military Personnel.”
• SUPPORT GROUP: The Miami-Shelby Ostomy Support Group will hold its monthly meeting at 7 p.m. at Upper Valley Medical Center, Troy. The Ostomy Support Group’s meetings are held the first Wednesday of each month except January and July. The meeting will be in the hospital lower level Conference Room A. Programs provide information and support to ostomates and their families, and are beneficial to health care professionals as well. Laura Lockwood from Coloplast Ostomy Co. will be the speaker for the program. For more information, contact Robin Medrano at 440-4706.
• SLIDERS: The American Legion Post 586, Tipp City, will prepare John’s Sliders, two for $2, with chips and toppings starting at 6 p.m.
• KIWANIS MEETING: The Piqua Kiwanis will meet at noon at The Bistro Room, 1876 Commerce Drive, Piqua. Piqua City Schools Teacher of the Year Diane Fox will speak. For more information, call Brian Phillips at 778-158 or visit www.freewebs.com/piquakiwanis/.
• KIWANIS: The Kiwanis Club of Troy welcomes Bill Horstman, executive director of Habitat for Humanity of Miami and Shelby counties. Horstman will be discussing the relocation of their ReStore facility, product availability and also volunteer opportunities at Habitat in Miami and Shelby counties. Lunch meeting starts at noon at the Troy Country Club.
• COUPON CLUB: The St. James Coupon Club will meet every week from 6-8 p.m. at St. James Episcopal Church, 200 W. High St., Piqua. Come, bring a friend, bring your coupons to work on, to share and trade, or just bring yourself if you are just getting started. For questions, call 773-1241.
• The Elizabeth Township Trustees will meet at 7 p.m. in the township building, 5710 Walnut Grove Road, Troy.
• The village of West Milton Planning Board will meet at 7:30 p.m. in council chambers.
• QUARTER AUCTION: The Angels for Alzheimer’s team will offer a quarter auction at 7 p.m. at the Miami Valley Centre Mall, 987 E. Ash St., Piqua. Doors will open at 6 p.m. Admission is $3 and includes one paddle. Additional paddles are $1. Bring your own quarters, as limited amounts will be available. Food and drink will be available in the food court. All proceeds will benefit the Miami County Walk to End Alzheimer’s. For more information, contact Trisha Elliott at email@example.com.
• HOT DOGS: The American Legion Post 586, Tipp City, will offer hot dogs with chips and toppings for $2 or with French fries for $3, onion rings $1 and cookies two for 50 cents starting at 6 p.m. Euchre starts at 7 p.m. for $5.
• COMMISSION TO MEET: The Public Defenders Commission will meet at 10 a.m. at the office of the public defender, 201 W. Main St., Troy.
• ICE CREAM: A homemade ice cream social will be from 5-7 p.m. at Greenville Creek Christian Church, 5110 Buckneck Road, Bradford. The menu will include four kinds of ice cream, sandwiches, cake, pie and drinks.
• LIBRARY FRIENDS: The New Friends of the Milton-Union Public Library hold their monthly meeting at 6:30 p.m. in the library’s community room. New members — or just willing volunteers — are more than welcome.
• CHICKEN FRY: The Pleasant Hill VFW Post 6557, 7578 W. Fenner Road, Ludlow Falls, will offer a three-piece chicken dinner with french fries and macaroni salad for $7 and up from 6-7:30 p.m. Chicken livers are also available.
• HEALTH TREKKERS: The Miami County Park District will hold its Health Trekkers program from 6-7 p.m. at Hobart Urban Nature Preserve, 1400 Tyrone, Troy. Take a hike for heath and join park district health and wellness specialist, registered nurse Marion for this weekly low impact walk. Relevant topics such as heart health, diet and nutrition, diabetes prevention, stress relief and many others will be discussed during this twelve walk series. Remember to wear weather appropriate gear and walking shoes for comfort. Registration not required but highly recommended. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• FISH FRY: The American Legion Post 586, Tipp City, will present a fish fry and chicken tenders, French fries, hush puppies, coleslaw and dessert for $8 starting at 6 p.m.
• BURGERS: Bacon burgers will be offered beginning at 6 p.m. at the Troy Fish & Game.
• COMMUNITY NIGHT: Downtown Tipp City’s August Community Night will be Aug 5 at Second and Main streets. The evening of free music will begin at 6:15 p.m. with The Tippecanoe Community Band followed by the Tom Daugherty Orchestra and swing dancers at 7:30 p.m. It is recommended that you bring a lawn chair. In case of inclement weather the concert will be cancelled. For more information stop by The Hotel Gallery or call (937) 667-3696.
• CAR SHOW: Lockington Volunteer Fire Department will host its’ Ninth annual Car Show to benefit the fire department at 10363 Museum Trail, Piqua (Lockington). The event will start at 10:00 a.m. and run until 4 p.m. (rain or shine). Registration will open from 10 a.m. to noon. There will be dash plaques given to the first 50 registered vehicles and trophies will be awarded. There will be a $10 fee for all show vehicles. Food will be available for purchase and music will be provided by Jimmy Weaver. For more information, call (937) 606-0919.
• KARAOKE: The American Legion Post 586, Tipp City, will host karaoke from 7 p.m. to close.
• 5K/WALK: Fight Back 5K, a run/walk to benefit Relay For Life, will begin with registration at 6:30 a.m. at the Relay For Life of Shelby County at the Shelby County Fairgrounds. Race starts at 7 a.m. The fee is $25 at cantstoprunning.com. Awards will be given to top male and female runners in each age group.
• ICE CREAM: St. Patrick Church will have an ice cream social at 6 p.m. in the church undercroft, 409 East Main St., Troy. Also on display will be the upcoming events scheduled, opportunity to sign up for Bible studies, Small Christian Communities and Dinner Club.
• WII PARTY: Play Wii games like Guitar Hero and Mario Kart on the library’s own system at the Milton-Union Public Library from 1-3 p.m. The party is open to all ages. Milton-Union thanks Miami County Foundation for the grant for the Wii operating system and accessories.