LOCKINGTON — After years of planning and more than a year’s worth of labor, the Ohio History Connection will unveil the restored Lock 1 of Lockington Locks during a rededication ceremony Thursday at 4 p.m. at the intersection of Museum Trail and Cross Trail roads in Lockington.
Burt Logan, executive director and CEO of Ohio History Connection; Glenda S. Greenwood, president of the Ohio History Connection Board of Trustees; Randy Chevalley, deputy director of District 7, Ohio Department of Transportation; Andy Hite, Lockington Locks site manager; and Mike Morthorst, president of the Canal Society of Ohio, will speak during the ceremony.
The project included the complete dismantling of the lock, installation of a concrete mat footing, reconstructing the walls, and grading. Team members photographed, numbered and stored each stone for reinstallation in the same position. Many of the stones required repair before reinstallation. All of the stones required cleaning.
The Ohio History Connection partnered with the Ohio Department of Transportation, the village of Lockington, Spieker Inc. from Perrysburg, McMullen Associates from Vienna, Virginia, and DGL Consulting Engineers from Maumee on the project.
Funding came from a Transportation Alternative Grant of $1,900,000 and matching funds from state of Ohio totaling $899,534.
The extensive stair-step canal lock walls, among the best preserved in Ohio, were part of the Miami and Erie Canal System, which opened for navigation in 1845 and connected Cincinnati and the Ohio River to Toledo and Lake Erie. For decades, the canal provided Ohio with valuable transportation and waterpower.
The rededication ceremony will be free and is open to the public.