MIAMI COUNTY — The Miami County Park District will hold the Mother Nature’s Preschool “Bugs & Butterflies” program from 6-10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 16, at Garbry Big Woods Reserve, 6660 Casstown-Sidney Road, east of Piqua.
Join park district naturalist Millipede Mike as she leads the group in song, story, play and a toddler-sized hike. Have fun as you discover the world of bugs and butterflies in your parks. Meet in the shelter. Choose either weekday series or the Saturday series when registering. There is a $10 fee for each series of four classes. Class size is limited to 12; class size minimum is four. Registration required.
Register for the program by sending an email to email@example.com, going to the program calendar at www.MiamiCountyParks.com or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 104.
Also coming up this month:
• 2014 Trail Run Challenge: A 5K and 10K trail run/walk at 9 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 17 at Stillwater Prairie Reserve, 9750 State Route 185, north of Covington. Registration begins at 8 a.m.
Participants are encouraged to step outdoors and onto the trail as part of a healthy lifestyle. Teams of 10 or more are invited to participate in the Team Challenge. Visit MiamiCountyParks.com for more information. Register online at Speedy-Feet.com. The registration fee is $20 for pre-registration and $25 for day of registration.
The 2014 Trail Run Challenge is sponsored by: Up and Running, Premier Health Upper Valley Medical Center, Scott Family McDonald’s, Miami County Public Health, Abbey Credit Union, Brower’s Insurance and Speedy Feet.
• Monthly Dog Social: Sunday, Aug. 17 from 1-3 p.m. at Stillwater Prairie Reserve. If your dog is nice and plays well with others, bring them to the park to take part in the “Rescue Dogs.” This month our special guests will be the Buckeye Search and Rescue Dogs. These animal heroes will demonstrate how they assist with search and rescue operations. Don’t miss this fun event! Please remember owners are responsible for their dogs.
• “VIP Cast Iron Cooking” campfire program on Saturday, Aug. 23 from 7:30-10:30 p.m. at Stillwater Prairie Reserve. Participants will start their evening off with the park district VIPs as they teach the secrets of cast iron cooking. Sample the delicious camp cuisine as you sit around the fire listening to legends and stories from Spirit of Thunder, John De Boer. There will also be singing and playing with Jim Johnson as participants roast marshmallows and spend time with family and friends.
• Monthly Naturalist Adventure Series program: Sunday, Aug. 24 from 1-4 p.m. at Hobart Urban Nature Preserve, 1400 Tyrone in Troy. This month’s “Straight Arrow” program will teach participants all about archery. Test your skills at the Ohio Department of Natural Resources archery trailer. Bows and arrows will be provided.
• Music in the Park “Red Barn Melodies” program: 3:30-6:30 p.m. Sunday, Aug. at Lost Creek Reserve, 2385 E. State Route 41, east of Troy. Participants are invited to sit in the shade of the old oak trees and listen to the sound of music and nature. Bring a blanket to sit on and a snack to eat.
Register for these program by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, going to the program calendar at www.MiamiCountyParks.com or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 104.