Piqua City Commission to vote on resurfacing project


By Sam Wildow - [email protected]



PIQUA — During their meeting Tuesday evening, the Piqua City Commission will be voting on the final legislation to enter into an agreement with the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) for the resurfacing of State Route 185 within the city.

The preliminary agreement was approved in May 2014. According to the staff report, “ODOT had completed the plans and specifications for the project and is ready to bid.”

The resurfacing project will include Sunset Drive — State Route 185 — and extend from Covington Avenue to the west corporation limit. The project will complete “necessary roadway base repairs” in addition to “the milling and the overlaying of the road with a new asphalt surface course and the installation of new pavement markings,” according to the staff report.

ODOT is funding approximately 80 percent of the costs for the project through their Urban Paving Program. The project is estimated to cost $360,000. The remaining 20 percent will be locally funded with approximately $79,165.

Also on the agenda in connection with Piqua roads, the commission will be voting on awarding a contract to Grissom Construction, LLC. for the Sidewalk ADA Compliance Program. The Sidewalk ADA Compliance Program will install 41 ADA-compliant handicap ramps at intersections that are along the streets that will be resurfaced in the city’s 2016 Street Resurfacing Program. The cost will be approximately $78,700, which includes a 10 percent contingency.

In regard to Piqua’s water, the commission will be considering amending the contract with Strand Associates to move into the bidding phase for the new Central Zone Water Tower Project. Strand Associates began their “research and design for a new water tower for the central zone of the distribution system of the city” after a resolution was approved in 2013, according to the staff report.

The new water tower will be located at 316 Fox Drive, which Paul Sherry donated to the city. The new tower will be connected to the Piqua Water System by a new 12-inch water main installed along Drake Road and through an easement on the Sherry property. The new tower will also connect to the water system on Fox Drive.

The city has a $1.075 million grant from the Ohio Public Works Commission (OPWC) for the construction of the tower. The cost of amending the contract with Strand Associates will be approximately $27,000.

The commission will also vote on the purchase and installation of two valves and materials needed for the installation of the valves on the 20-inch water main feeding the water distribution system from the current Water Treatment Plant. The two valves currently in place are “inoperable,” according to the staff report.

If both resolutions regarding this purchase and installation are approved, the valves will be purchased from HD Supply Waterworks. They were the lowest of three bids for the materials, and the purchase order is not to exceed $14,000. Culy Contracting will complete the installation, and the contract is not to exceed $17,000.

The project will be completed in one day in early June. Johnston Farm and Indian Agency will be without water for one day, and they have been notified.

Also on the commission’s agenda:

• Lee Adams will take an oath of office as assistant fire chief at the Piqua Fire Department

• The commission will vote on a lease agreement to permit the use of Lock Nine Park and Linear Park to Mainstreet Piqua and the Piqua Arts Council for the Rock Piqua! Riverfront Concert Series on June 18, July 16, and Aug. 20

By Sam Wildow

[email protected]

Reach reporter Sam Wildow at (937) 451-3336 or on Twitter @TheDailyCall

Reach reporter Sam Wildow at (937) 451-3336 or on Twitter @TheDailyCall

comments powered by Disqus