DAR members tour Pennsylvania House


Provided photo Tour attendees were Becky Miller, Teri Okrutny, Becky Miller, Norma Shields, Annette Stewart, Bonnie Lair, Lora Larck, Carol DeHart, Nancy Kelsey, Shannon Shafer and Dee Smith. Not in photo but present were Kathy and Glenda Thompson and Marianne Ober who also assisted with the tour and is an associate member of the Lagona Chapter and member of the Piqua-Lewis Boyer Chapter.


SPRINGFIELD — The Piqua-Lewis Boyer Daughters of the American Revolution recrntly toured the historic Pennsylvania House in Springfield.

The historic house is on the National Register of Historic Places along the well-known National Road. The house was constructed in 1838-39 for David Snively originally to serve travelers going west during the wagon era. Guests could visit the tavern or spend the night in the Inn. Last minute supplies could be purchased at the general store. In later years, after the introduction of the trains, the general store still operated but more to locals selling goods that were needed on their farms and in their homes. The building has served many purposes and after the Civil War was a doctor’s clinic as well as a boarding house.

The house has 23 rooms, three stories, and four porches. Period artifacts and furniture complete the rooms open to tour and were obtained from donations including DAR members and descendants from the families who lived here previously as well as the community. One of the most outstanding button collections and doll collections are housed here.

The house has underwent several renovations, which included removing the white paint off the brick and returning back to the original brick. The Lagonda Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution saved it from demolition in 1939 and have owned and operated it as a museum since. Tours for groups can be arranged by viewing their website and contacting them at pennsylvaniahousemuseum.

Afterwards we enjoyed lunch at Teaberries Heart of Country and gift shop, which is another historic building that was an old school house built in 1868 called Cross Roads.

Provided photo Tour attendees were Becky Miller, Teri Okrutny, Becky Miller, Norma Shields, Annette Stewart, Bonnie Lair, Lora Larck, Carol DeHart, Nancy Kelsey, Shannon Shafer and Dee Smith. Not in photo but present were Kathy and Glenda Thompson and Marianne Ober who also assisted with the tour and is an associate member of the Lagona Chapter and member of the Piqua-Lewis Boyer Chapter.
http://dailycall.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/web1_DAR.jpgProvided photo Tour attendees were Becky Miller, Teri Okrutny, Becky Miller, Norma Shields, Annette Stewart, Bonnie Lair, Lora Larck, Carol DeHart, Nancy Kelsey, Shannon Shafer and Dee Smith. Not in photo but present were Kathy and Glenda Thompson and Marianne Ober who also assisted with the tour and is an associate member of the Lagona Chapter and member of the Piqua-Lewis Boyer Chapter.
comments powered by Disqus