Piqua woman to serve four years

Tyla McReynolds, 32, guilty of felonious assault following gas station accident which injured a child

By Melanie Yingst - [email protected]

MIAMI COUNTY — The Piqua woman responsible a “horrific crash” at the South Street Shell station last November will spend the next four years in prison.

On Monday, Miami County Common Pleas Judge Jeannine Pratt sentenced Tyla McReynolds, 32, of Piqua, to serve four years in prison for second degree assault. She also sentenced McReynolds to serve 11 months for fifth degree felony failure to stop after an accident. The two sentences will run concurrently.

Prior to sentencing, McReynolds said, “I don’t really know what to say other than I really need help.” McReynolds admitted to abusing drugs, including heroin, during the sentencing hearing.

Judge Pratt noted McReynolds showed no genuine remorse for her actions, lied to police and failed to seek drug and mental counseling during various criminal probation periods. Judge Pratt also noted McReynolds failed to render help following the accident and “was not concerned with anyone other than herself that day.”

“It’s only by the grace of God that no one was seriously injured,” Pratt told McReynolds. Judge Pratt ordered $2,102.32 in restitution to be paid to the victims in the incident.

McReynolds pleaded guilty to driving a minivan into another parked minivan at the South Street Shell gas station last November. The crash caused a 4 year-old boy, who was playing in the front of the van, to be thrown half-way through the back window of the vehicle. The boy suffered a broken leg. A two year-old child was also in the vehicle, but was properly strapped into child safety seat and not injured. The mother had stepped away from the minivan to pay for gas when the incident occurred. A dog was also injured in the crash.

McReynolds also reportedly stopped after the crash only to remove the license plate from her vehicle before fleeing from the scene on foot.

Assistant prosecutor Paul Watkins said the “horrific” surveillance video of the crash “was unbelievable,” and asked for McReynolds to serve prison time for the incident.

McReynolds was ordered to serve three years of post release control following her release from prison. McReynolds pleaded guilty to a bill of information to the charges last month.

Tyla McReynolds, 32, guilty of felonious assault following gas station accident which injured a child

By Melanie Yingst

[email protected]

comments powered by Disqus