PIQUA — A Saturday morning fire on Kitt Street damaged a home and displaced a family of six.
Firefighters were called to 505 Kitt Street around 11 a.m. on a report of smoke coming from the attic area.
Piqua and Covington firefighters responded to the address. When they arrived, they found no smoke but observed a smell of something electrical burning.
Electricity to the residence was disconnected and the entire home and attic checked.
Captain Lee Adams of the Piqua Fire Department said that the cause of the burning smell was determined to be an electrical issue. There was minimal damage to the home.
The landlord was contacted about the issue and the Red Cross was contacted to assist the family, which included two adults and four children, in finding temporary shelter.
Adams said that this is a good reminder for everyone to check the batteries in their smoke alarms to make sure that they are working properly.