Civic Hall of Fame induction set


PIQUA — The Piqua Civic Hall of Fame 2015 Induction Ceremony and Reception will be held at 1:30 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 22, on the fourth floor of the Fort Piqua Plaza, 116 W. High St.

The Civic Hall of Fame is a program of the Piqua Area Chamber of Commerce and the public is invited to the ceremony.

Inductees will be:

• George William Lorimer (1874 – 1932)

Lorimer moved to Piqua in 1897. He patented an automatic telephone exchange system and created the Callender Telephone Exchange Company to manufacture the Lorimer System. Lorimer invented a foundry sand mixer in 1906 and established the G.W. Lorimer Company as an experimental laboratory for new mechanical devices in 1913. He built and drove Piqua’s first automobile in 1900. He served as Piqua’s mayor (1914-1915). After the 1913 flood, he promoted the rebuilding of what would be known as the Lorimer Bridge into Shawnee. In 1912, he became the first president of the Piqua Historical Society.

• Ethan E. Huntzinger (1879 – 1945)

Huntzinger was born in Indiana and moved to Piqua in 1905, where he set up his first photographic studio. He was best known for his early documentation of the physical environment of the city and the surrounding area from 1905 through the early 1920s. He was particularly active in photographing the devastation of the 1913 Flood. In the late 1920s, Huntzinger invented a method of using and developing strip film to take individual pictures of students. This new technique made student photographs affordable for the first time.

• Harry L. Bell (1892 – 1965)

Bell was born near Winchester, Ohio, and moved to Piqua in 1921 after serving in World War I. He established the Sherer-Bell Auto Agency, which by the 1930s had absorbed agencies in Chicago, Columbus and Cincinnati to become one of the largest Chevrolet dealerships in the world. Bell was an active philanthropist providing funds for everything from band uniforms to hospital emergency equipment. He was responsible for the rebirth of the Piqua Community Chest in the late 1950s.

comments powered by Disqus