PIQUA — Students at the Piqua High School allegedly circulated an innappropriate photo of another underage student on Monday.
According the Piqua police reports, a female juvenile student voluntarily took the photo and sent it to another student. From there, the photo was allegedly shared with other juveniles via text. The victim approached both Piqua police and school officials after the incident.
Two female juvenile offenders and one male juvenile offender were charged with fifth-degree felony disseminating material harmful to minors in connection with this incident. Another male juvenile offender was charged with third-degree felony pandering obscenity in connection with this incident.
According to Netsmartz.org, the following are tips for helping to protect children from sexting:
• Teach juveniles how to act online, not to trust everyone they may meet online, and what to do if they ever see any inappropriate content online
• Model good online behavior
• Set rules for cell phone use, including what sort of information and images are appropriate to share via text
• Know what safeguards are available on a child’s phone, such as turning off or blocking texting and picture features
• Talk to children about the possible social, academic, and legal consequences of sexting
• Encourage children not to be a bystander or an instigator, discuss why it is important that they not forward an inappropriate image to anyone else if they receive one
• Talk to your child’s school about its policies on cell phones, cyberbullying, and sexting
• Report any nude or semi-nude images that a child receives to law enforcement or contact www.cybertipline.com
The Piqua Police Department can be contacted at (937) 778-2027. Anonymous tips can be submitted by calling 937-615-TIPS (8477) or by visiting www.piquaoh.org/police_submitatip.htm for more information.
To submit an anonymous tip through text messaging, type the keyword PIQUAPD and the message, then send it to 274637.
Reach reporter Sam Wildow at (937) 451-3336 or on Twitter @TheDailyCall