By Will Sanders
April 2, 2014
By Will E Sanders
TROY — An accused rapist faced a judge at his video arraignment this week three years after he allegedly sexually assaulted a 17-year-old girl at Fountain Park in Piqua.
Suspect Douglas M. Wintrow, 21, entered a plea of not guilty to the charges of rape, a first-degree felony, and abduction, a third-degree felony.
He is expected to undergo a preliminary hearing later this month, though no date was set.
A judge set his bond at a combined $50,000, which Wintrow posted shortly after his arraignment in municipal court.
Wintrow allegedly and forcibly raped the female teen he was acquainted with in May 2011 at the city park, said Piqua Police Department Deputy Chief Tom Steiner.
The victim never reported the rape until October of last year because she was scared to come forward after the sexual assault.
“She got counseling, talked it over with her family and was then able to come up with the courage to come forward,” Steiner said.
If convicted as charged, Wintrow faces a maximum sentence of 15 years and sex offender registration.
Will E Sanders may be reached at 773-2721 or on Twitter @TheDailyCall.